The Watertown Community Foundation works to build and sustain a vibrant, close-knit community in Watertown, Massachusetts— now and for future generations. After 15 years of operation, with steadily increasing grant-making, fundraising, and programmatic impact, WCF seeks an Executive Director (ED) to lead it during a period of unprecedented population growth and demographic change in the community we serve.
This half-time position offers the opportunity to shape WCF’s impact in its core focus areas: education, health, arts, and the environment. In partnership with an active and engaged 17-member board, the next ED will be the face of a dynamic and diverse community’s foremost philanthropy, will help craft WCF’s vision, and will oversee its implementation.
The ED is responsible, in partnership with the Board, for the growth and operations of the Foundation, in support of its mission. This includes strategic planning concerning areas of WCF’s community awareness and involvement (visibility), ensuring impact through grant-making and other programs (impact), fundraising (development), and overseeing core administrative functions (operations). The Executive Director is supported by a part-time Executive Assistant.
Candidates should have energy and enthusiasm, coupled with mature judgment, absolute integrity, and a history of community engagement, and should demonstrate competence in the following:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency, including the willingness to work evenings and on weekends when necessary;
- Relationship-building: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally (with Board members) and externally (community members and volunteers), to achieve the goals of the Foundation;
- Communication: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough, and timely manner using appropriate and efficient communication tools and techniques;
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop efficient and creative ways to improve the operations of the Foundation, to execute Foundation programs and initiatives, and support the growth of the Foundation;
- Planning: Determine strategies to move the Foundation forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results;
- Organizational Management: Leverage technology to manage and maintain communications, documentation and streamline the activities of the Foundation; and
- Strategic thinking: Assess initiatives and actions based on trends and conditions in the community, and the mission and resources of the Foundation.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proficiency with online document management tools such as Microsoft 365 and donor relations management tools such as eTapestry
- Demonstrated knowledge of the nonprofit sector and familiarity with philanthropy strongly preferred
- Work experience in an environment that relies heavily on electronic communication and document management strongly preferred
- This is a half-time position.
- Salary is $35,000 – $45,000 per year, depending on experience.
- The ED reports to the co-presidents of the WCF Board.
Please send resume and one page cover letter to email@example.com
The Watertown Community Foundation is a 501(c)(3) public foundation that seeks a diverse pool of candidates.